Discover what sun protection your skin needs
What is a sunscreen?
Sunscreen products are a method of prevention against UV rays A and B, which damage our skin after long exposure to the sun. Its function is to protect the skin from possible burns and irritations, as well as skin alterations and skin diseases that can occur in the long term due to photoaging
How do I choose the best sunscreen for my skin?
1. Skin type: phototype
It is a very important factor when choosing a cream as each skin type is more or less sensitive to ultraviolet radiation. Each skin has a different ability to tan itself due to the amount of melanin. The phototype is determined by the pigmentation of the skin, eyes and hair.
- Very pale skin (red or blond hair, blue or green eyes)
- Always burn with UV exposure and do not tan
- They tend to have a lot of freckles
- Light skin (light or medium hair and eyes)
- Burn with UV exposure and get little tanning
- Light brown skin
- They sometimes burn in front of UV exposure and usually tan
- Brunette skin
- Rarely burn in front of UV exposure and tan
- Dark skin
- Never burn and tan intensely
- Black leather
- They never burn
- Always dark skin
2. UV radiation index
This indicates the level of radiation in the geographical location where we live or time of year
- Low: index from 1 to 3
- Medium: index from 4 to 6
- High: index from 7 to 9
- Extreme: rate higher than 10
3. Sun protection factor (SPF)
The sun protection factor or sun protection index is an indicator of the level of photoprotection and duration of the protective effect on the skin. That is, it indicates how long the ability to protect ourselves from the sun is increased
For example, if our skin is able to stay in the sun for 10 minutes without reddening, a SPF 30 protects the skin for 300 minutes, i.e. about 5 hours
Taking into account the type of skin and level of radiation, we have to choose the most suitable SPF for us.
|UV index||Phototype I||Phototype II||Phototype III||Phototype IV|
|1-3||12 - 20||15 - 20||15 - 20||15 - 20|
|4-6||30 - 50||30 - 50||15 - 20||15 - 20|
|7-9||50+||30 - 50||15 - 20||15 - 20|
|>10||50+||50+||30 - 50||15 - 20|
Tips for sunscreens
It is important to keep in mind and be very conscious of protecting yourself well from the sun.
In addition to taking into account the above points we advise you
- Avoid the hours of greatest sun exposure (between 12:00 and 16:00).
- Apply cream more often than calculated with SPF.
In summer we go into the water, sweat, leave areas uncovered with cream, fall asleep in the sun and it is important to apply cream
- Protect your skin with appropriate clothing, cap and sunglasses
- Drink plenty of water and get plenty of hydration
In PromoFarma we offer a variety of formats and solar brands such as Isdin, Avène, Anthelio, Bella Aurora, HelioCare, Piz Buin, Repavar, Bioderma.... All of them, trusted brands to protect your skin and that of your whole family"